Rita was introduced to shooting by her husband, Dante, when she accompanied him on a pheasant hunt in 1957. She said that since he gave her a 12 gauge shotgun to use, she thought she should learn to shoot it.
Rita began her trap shooting at the Williams Gun Club at the Williams Gun Company ranges in Davison, Michigan. Instruction at the time was provided by Dick Williams, brother of Hall of Fame inductee Boyd Williams.
Rita’s significant trap shooting accomplishments include:
• Named twice to the Ladies All-American Team – 1963 & 1964
• Four time Michigan State Ladies Singles Champion – 1959, 1961, 1965, & 1967
• Three time Michigan State Ladies Handicap Champion – 1963, 1964, & 1967
• 1963 Grand American Clay Target Championship, Runner-up Lady
• 1965 Grand American Clay Target Championship, Runner-up Class C
• 1963 Ohio State Shoot, N/R Hi-Lady, Singles and Handicap
• 1964 Ohio State Shoot, N/R Hi-Lady, Handicap
• 1970 Great Lakes Championship, Hi-Lady, Singles and Handicap
• Named numerous times to Michigan All-State Trap Team